2011 Intern Show Postmortem

Wow!  It sure has been a while since I put anything up here.  Bad Zach!  I'll try and be better about that in the future!

So another intern show at Art Center has come and gone, and once again the bar has definitely been raised.  The turnout was great this year, and the student work was spectacular!  I had a great time and got to meet a lot of very cool and interesting people.  Here are a couple of pieces I worked on for the show...

A new piece for my senior project -- the goddess Athena from my Greek/Steampunk/Fantasy version of "The Odyssey":
(She's sitting on her "steamthrone" :] -- I'm such a nerd!)

Here's a piece I reworked a little bit from my "Dead Space" redesign -- I think it makes for a more interesting narrative:

A 6-headed sea monster I'm designing for my "Odyssey" project:

Some more work on my cyclops zbrush maquette that I'm doing with Bryan Wynia.  Still a work in progress, but its certainly coming along:



Oh, and I got published!  Kevin Chen over at Concept Design Academy submitted my work -- as well as that of a few other students --to an article that 3D Artist Magazine was doing on the Zbrush character creation class that Bryan teaches:

I would definitely like to thank Kevin Chen, Bryan Wynia, Josh Herman and everyone else at CDA -- it was an honor to be selected and represent the school!

I have a lot more stuff in the works that I will be sure to post up here soon!  Thanks, as always, for taking a look.

15 comments:

Q said...

Nice works. I already checked out the press from CDA website. The color of the painting looks beautiful. Again, thank you for give me a tour and let me meet all the people at art center.
---Q

Tom Zhao said...

cool man! i keep feeling like the reveal has been spoiled for me because i'm luck enough to get sneak-peeks all the time haha

the cyclops sculpt really turned out great, the added nuances pushed it beyond "cool" into the "amazing" territory

Mauricio Abril said...

Awesome, bro! Congrats on the show and on the magazine! That's great news! You should be graduating with us (go back in time and squeeze those extra units in somewhere)! btw, That little goblin guy always made me feel like he could take you down, even if you were 300lbs and 8 feet tall!

Daniel said...

So sick!! I'm mounting that print and putting it on my wall :P

Luke said...

Ballin zach

Dilanka Samaratunga said...

Grats on getting your work published!

your cyclopes is coming out great! great work Zach.

Roy Santua said...

... once again, you have prevailed. congrats for the magazine and elevating into new heights. How high? Beyond the skies my friend!!

Annis Naeem said...

dang dude,
totally sick. love those b/w sketches of the oddysey monster.

Jparked said...

niceeeeeeeeeeeee!!! congrats zack!

really love your creature work man!

Connie Jaio Wong said...

Love your cyclops! Congrats on the magazine! Sweet!!!!

Simon Scales said...

Awesome stuff man!!

Patrick Leyendecker said...

wow, your skillz are outstanding, really like your blog.

Eytan Zana said...

Awesome stuff dude! Keep killin it!

Saiful Haque said...

great work!!! I hope to be as good as you at zbrush one day! It was nice meeting you. Goodluck!

Sylvia Liu said...

nicee! it was nice meeting you too :)